National Policy on Social Participation
This booklet is an initiative of the General Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic to disseminate the concepts and directives of social participation established by the National Policy on Social Participation to all the Brazilian people. It brings information about the available channels for society to contribute to the elaboration, implementation and monitoring of the public policies of the federal government.
The Federal Constitution of 1988 marked the Brazilian democratic process consolidating social struggles for liberty and citizenship. More recently, starting in the first years of the XXIst century, the federal government stimulated the participation of the civil society in several processes that enabled advances, especially in relation to the rights of citizens. The National Policy on Social Participation contributes to effect social participation as a method of government, instituting specific directives about each of the channels of interaction between the State and society.
The booklet presents a summary of the content of the National Policy on Social Participation; establishes its instances and mechanisms; and provides the fundamentals of important tools: the National System of Social Participation (Sistema Nacional de Participação Social – SNPS), that will articulate the instances of social participation; and the Social Demands Monitoring Board, that will monitor the responses to the demands of social movements.
Thus, the National Policy on Social Participation is an important achievement of the movements and entities of the civil societies that seek within social participation the path to defend and effect rights and citizenship.
Chief Minister of the General Secretariat
of the Presidency of the Republic
ON SOCIAL PARTICIPATION
WHAT IS THE NATIONAL POLICY
ON SOCIAL PARTICIPATION (PNPS)?
What is the National Policy on Social Participation (PNPS)?
The National Policy on Social Participation (PNPS) is the set of concepts and directives relating to the instances and mechanisms created to enable dialogue, learning and sharing of decisions between the federal government and civil society.
- Civil society
Citizens, collectives, social movements, their networks and organizations.
What is the incidence of PNPS?
Social Participation can take place in the definition of the governmental agenda, in the formulation, execution, follow-up, monitoring and evaluation of public programs and policies.
What are the general guidelines that rule PNPS?
The PNPS follows a few directives that guide its design, implementation and monitoring. They are:
- the recognition of social participation as a right of the citizens and expression of their autonomy;
- complementarity, crossover and integration between mechanisms and instances of representative, participative and direct democracy;
- solidarity, cooperation and respect for diversity in the construction of citizenship and social inclusion values;
- the right to information, transparency and social control in public actions;
- the valuing of education for active citizenship;
- the autonomy, free functioning and independence of civil society organizations;
- the broadening of mechanisms of social control.
What is the PNPS for?
The PNPS is created principally to consolidate social participation as a method of government, besides other objectives, such as:
- to promote the articulation of the instances and of the mechanisms of social participation;
- to improve the relationship between the federal government and the civil society, respecting the autonomy of the parts;
- to promote and consolidate the adoption of mechanisms of social participation in the policies and programmes of the federal government;
- to develop mechanisms of social participation in the stages of the planning and budgeting cycle;
- to encourage the usage and development of methodologies that incorporate multiple forms of expression and languages of social participation, by means of the internet, with the adoption of free technologies of communication and information, especially software and applications, such as free source-codes and audible, or the ones available in the Portal of Brazilian Public Software;
- to develop mechanisms of social participation that are accessible to the historically excluded and vulnerable social groups;
- to stimulate and promote actions and programmes of institutional aid, training and qualification on social participation for managers, public servants and civil societies;
- to stimulate social participation on the other federal entities;
- to strengthen institutionally the civil society organizations.
In order to articulate the different existing instances and mechanisms of Social Participation and other forms of dialogue to be created, the PNPS instituted the National System of Social Participation (Sistema Nacional de Participação Social – SNPS).
National System of Social Participation
- Links the instances of participation in a network, in a flexible, non-hierarchical and complementary manner.
How can we participate in the PNPS?
It is possible to participate in the PNPS integrating the instances and the mechanisms of social participation that comprise the SNPS. They are:
PUBLIC POLICIES COUNCILS – Themed and permanent cooperative group sessions, instituted by regulatory act, of dialogue between civil society and the government, directed at allowing the participation of civil society in the decision process and in public policies management.
40 cooperative forms between councils and national committees
44,95% – Government
55,05% – Civil Society
Government – 668
Civil Society – 818
TOTAL – 1.486
PUBLIC POLICIES COMITTEES – Themed cooperative group sessions, instituted by regulatory act, created for dialogue between civil society and the government surrounding specific objectives, with duration tied to the accomplishment of its objectives.
NATIONAL CONFERENCES – Periodic sessions of debate, design and evaluation concerning specific themes and of public interest, with wide participation of government and civil society representatives, that can consider state, municipal or regional steps.
- 121 national conferences have taken place since the promulgation of the Constitution of 1988.
FEDERAL PUBLIC HEARING – Control and social participation session responsible for the treatment of complaints, requests, denunciations, suggestions and compliments relating to the policies and public services, rendered, by any means or regime, with the objective of improving public management.
Nº of Federal Public Hearings
DIALOGUE BOARDS – Debate and negotiation mechanism with the participation of civil society sectors and of the government directly involved with the objective of preventing, mediating and solving social conflicts.
INTERCONCILLIAR FORUMS – Mechanism for dialogue between representatives of public policy councils to formulate and monitor public policies and governmental programmes, improving their interdepartmentality and crossover.
- From 2011 to 2013, four Forums Between Councils have taken place for the elaboration, evaluation and monitoring of the processes and instruments of federal planning and budgeting.
PUBLIC HEARINGS – Participative events that require physical presence, and are consultative and open to anyone interested, with the possibility of oral engagement by the participants.
PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS – Virtual processes that seek to systematize the opinion of the social subjects affected and interested in their object in support of governmental decision, guaranteeing the malleability of the policy to the interests of citizens.
VIRTUAL PLATFORMS AND INTERFACES – Mechanisms of social interaction, open to citizens that utilize technologies of free and auditable information and communication, especially the internet, to promote the dialogue between the federal government and civil society.
- Participa.br is the new platform of the federal government for dialogue with the citizens. The collaborative digital tool will allow the launching of consultations, community debates, conferences, surveys and transmission of online events. Familiarize yourself with the tool: http://www.participa.br.
How will the PNPS be implemented?
The direct and indirect federal public administration organs and entities are responsible for the implementation of the PNPS and have the following functions:
- to consider the instances and mechanisms of social participation envisaged in this Decree for the design, execution, monitoring and evaluation of their programs and public policies, respecting the specific qualities of each case;
- to elaborate strategies of implementation of the PNPS within the scope of their programmes and departmental policies.
And how will we monitor the PNPS?
The monitoring and implementation of the PNPS will be the responsibility of the General Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic, which will have the following obligations:
- to monitor the implementation of the PNPS within the organs and entities of direct and indirect federal public administration;
- to make available orientations for the implementation of PNPS in the organs and entities of the direct and indirect federal public administration;
- to consolidate and make public the evaluation report upon the implementation of the PNPS and upon compliance to its directives;
- to promote technical studies, evaluations and systematizations of the instances and mechanisms of social participation;
- to carry out public audiences and consultations concerning aspects relevant to the management of the PNPS;
- to propose pacts for the strengthening of social participation to the other entities of the Federation.
Governance of the PNPS
- The Governmental Committee of Social Participation is the session that will assist the General Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic in the monitoring and in the implementation of the PNPS.
The National Policy on Social Participation also creates the Social Demands Monitoring Board.
SOCIAL DEMANDS MONITORING BOARD – It is a cooperative inter-ministerial session responsible for the coordination and forwarding of claims agendas from collectives, social movements and civil society networks, as well as for the monitoring of the government replies.
The meetings of the Monitoring Board will be called by the General Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic, the executive secretaries of the ministers who interface with the themes to be debated on the occasion being invited.
1.068 demands from urban and rural social movements
706 demands from urban and rural social movements
Want to know more?
Visit the site of the General Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic http://www.secretariageral.gov.br
Visit participa.br right now and contribute!
A HUMAN RIGHT, A POLICY OF STATE,
A METHOD OF GOVERNMENT.
ON SOCIAL PARTICIPATION
General Secretariat of the
Presidency of the Republic